Dr. Jovita A. Barcena is one of the "Top Doc LA" dentists in 2011 and was also chosen by The Consumers Research Council of America, an independent accrediting body, as one of "The America's Top Dentists" in 2007 and 2008.
Dr. Jovita A Barcena is a 1982 graduate of the University of the East, Manila, Philippines. After graduation she opened two private offices in Manila. She was then offered a job working as a dental hygienist in Saudi Arabia. The hospital director observed how well she treated her patients, and after a few days she was asked not to only do teeth cleaning but also to do general dentistry. She was offered a dentist position, which involved one month of training at the Ministry of Health followed by a licensure exam that included three parts; an oral, practical, and written exam. She was the first Filipino dentist who was given a license to practice dentistry in Asir, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. After getting her license, she was assigned to the main office in Jeddah, K.S.A. and it was there she trained for one year in Pedodontics (Children's Dentistry) and worked for five years in Orthodontics. In 1993, Dr. Barcena decided to join her family in the USA and decided to take the California State Board of exam to practice dentistry in California, which she passed in 1995. She worked at the Central Dental Care clinic in Covina, CA from June 1995-1996. Dr. Barcena decided to start her own private practice in Panorama City, CA in 1996.
At her Panorama City office, Dr. Barcena is a general dentist with special interest in Orthodontics and Cosmetic Dentistry. She also performs minor surgeries, non surgical gum treatment, and preventive dentistry. She loves attending dental seminars and always updates herself with the latest trends in dentistry. Some of the courses she has attended include:
- Orthodontics – Progressive Orthodontic Seminar (1997-1998) a two year program
- Rondeau Seminar Orthodontic Conference 2003
- World Clinical Laser Institute, Laser in Periodontal Treatment 2003
- Certified in Invisalign (2005)
- Implant A-Z, UCLA (April – Nov 2008)
- Perio Protect - Certified Provider
- Lumineers - Certified Provider - 1999
Aside from working in her office, Dr. Barcena also participates in many charitable and community services, as well as doing dental missions outside the country.
Dr. Barcena is an active member of:
- ADA- American Dental Association
- CDA- California Dental Association
- San Fernando Valley Dental Society
- AGD- Academy of General Dentistry
- IAO- International Association for Orthodontics
- NAFDA- National Association of Filipino Dentists in America
- World Clinical Laser Institute (Certified)